Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it true that there are laws against domestic noise in Germany at the weekends? if so, what are they?

I'd heard that you're not able to use a lawnmower or hedge cutter in Germany after noon on Saturday. Does this apply to other domestic appliances? Loud music?Is it true that there are laws against domestic noise in Germany at the weekends? if so, what are they?
I'm not sure if it's law exactly but it's certainly ettiquete. There are kind of unwritten rules about when you should and shouldn't make noise. I lived in Germany for six months last year and when I moved into my room (I was renting a room in a German woman's flat) I wanted to put a nail into the wall to hang my calendar. It was about 10pm in the evening on a weekend, possibly a Sunday, and I asked my landlady if she had a hammer. She was so shocked that I wanted a hammer at 10pm and asked why. I told her and she said but you can't use it now it's 10pm! Do it tomorrow morning but after 7am. Really weird! It was one nail and would have taken all of 5 seconds to bang in!





Our German teacher also told us of a guy who went on his placement year to Germany. He had an apartment in a small town with a balcony that overlooked the main town square where the church was. He was in the habit of hanging his washing over the balcony to dry and was surprised when he received complaints from the townspeople who, on their way to church on Sundays, were confronted with his underwear flapping in the breeze! Obviously ein grosse Fehler!! =DIs it true that there are laws against domestic noise in Germany at the weekends? if so, what are they?
My brother lived in Germany for several years. He couldn't use his hoover or washing machine after a certain time during the week never mind the weekend and as for loud music forget it!!!! the Police would be called. The Germans aren't shy about complaining about bad or antisocial behaviour no matter who or where you are. When my brother wanted to have a party he and his friends would go to an outside enclosed area (which was like an garden allotment) with their kegs of beer and food and party undisturbed all night long They had a large wooden building with cots and sleeping bags where they slept and everyone cleared up the next day. Great in the summer forget about it in the winter.
I don't know about Germany but roughly the same thing applies in the UK, and quite rightly.


If the neighbours persist in making a row they are eventually sorted out, who wants to hear loud music and banging about at all hours, this is one law I am in favour with.


Another one I would be in favour of, is banning these kids that drive their cars around with the windows wide open and the CD on full blast so the populace can hear, and enjoy ? their choice of 'Hip Hoppy' cra* music, I don't want to hear it, and I don't want to hear how great their engine sounds with half the exhaust missing, so that will be the next campaigning bit on my part.


Apart from that enjoy yourselves, don't invollve me in it. Remember there will always be miserable old far*s like me watching you! And you will be one yourself one day, if your ear drums are still up to it!
Yes, it's true that there are laws against ';excessive'; noise during quiet hours. Germans love their quiet time and their right to enjoy it. Though most of the larger towns and cities aren't quite the stickler for enforcing these days, the small villages will, and do. Sundays and legal holidays and late hours are times when noise is supposed to be held to a minimum. Everyone understands that it's impractical to have unlimited quiet hours, otherwise no work would get done. But usually, each community has a certain standard or unofficial agreement and tolerance level that most neighbors abide by.


Flagrantly ignoring quiet time can result in a visit from the polizei and a nice fine to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment